Saturday, November 7, 2009

BL5_2009112_Flickr

I would like to create a lesson using FlickR for my classroom for Science by gathering pictures about natural historical landmarks that show signs of weathering and erosion for the students to use to create a trifold publication to show what weathering and erosion is doing to these landmarks and what is being done to preserve the landmarks.


There were also some good free sites trying to start a blog to create lessons by the month. I found this lesson that could be adapted to your class. http://www.interfacemagazine.co.nz/lesson_plans.cfm - click on my BL5 title to get to this site.  I am still learning about all of our new Web 2.0 tools and trying different things with them.

Here is another specific site:  http://www.interfacemagazine.co.nz/downloads
http://INTERFACE%20Lesson%20Plan%2042%20-%20Five%20Card%20Flickr%20Story.pdf

Free tools if you go to this site:  http://www.interfacemagazine.co.nz/links.cfm

Free sites for lessons and printables for teachers: http://www.sitesforteachers.com/index.html

I enjoyed looking at the photos beginning on the ETC flickr page.  There are some interesting pictures!!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Toni,
    I just love the idea of using Flickr for the science erosion and weathering unit. It did make me think of how I could implement a Google Earth with using Flickr pictures too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using Flickr in a science classroom sounds like an awesome idea. Being a Digital Media Teacher and having already written my blog on Flickr, I found your post very interesting. I explained in my post that I was having trouble myself on where to use Flickr in my type of classroom, but knew that other classes would find many uses to use it in theirs.

    You have proved this point perfectly. Your thought process of showing weather erosion and other scientific things with the aid of pictures taken from FLickr, is great. I hope you find more uses of the pictures on this site to conduct more interesting and engaging lessons such as this one, for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni - By searching through historical images, you may be able to find more famous historical or geologically significant sites. By having your own students take current local pictures with geo-location active, they will be providing the "before" pictures for Flickr users of the future to compare to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great how you have linked your titles for others to get to your sources:) Great job, Toni!

    ReplyDelete